Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: New Microsoft Internet Explorer mshtml.dll Denial of Service?

From: "Tiago Halm" <thalm () netcabo pt>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 19:49:07 +0100

My feeling is that the following facts:

- rendering engine of IE, complemented with the "online" download of the
image
- possible malformation of the image

lead to this outcome (browser crash).
There must be some code inside mshtml.dll that "crashes" when parsing the
image.

I get this "Application" event with source "Microsoft Internet Explorer", ID
= 1000:
Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 6.0.2800.1106, faulting module
mshtml.dll, version 6.0.2800.1226, fault address 0x00180ede.

This is not a webbug. I think this is only a transgif for layout (as you put
it).
And IE should take the image as invalid and should not even try to display
it.

Regards,
Tiago Halm