Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Blocking Music Sharing.

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 01:39:41 +1200

"Johnson, Mark" <mjohnson () nmcr com> wrote:

Due to the legal issues, I am trying to block access to sites like Kazaa
and Limewire in the office.  If I am not mistaken, these networks can
use different ports each time, so there is no way to block it at the
firewall.  Is this right?  And if so, what is the best way to block
access to these types of sites?

You seem to be making the mistake of asking a "how do we detect X is
happening?" question when it sounds as if you really want the "how do
we prevent X from happening?" solution.

As you seem to be aware, detection of such protocols is fairly
problematic.  And, even though it is doable for some currently
interesting sub-set of all protocols you may find problematic, it is
unlikely that will always be the case.

A better solution is to approach it as a policy issue and have
enforcement of "allowable" software on the client machines.  There are
very few products to help with such solutions for now.  Conventionally
-- perhaps there is some natural bias in human thought processes that,
in such situations, strongly tends to the  "wrong" approach being seen
as the "obvious" or "natural" one?? -- the products that are available
are designed to answer "how do we detect...?" style questions.

Anyway, products that can monitor (and preferably detect but prevent)
the execution of non-sanctioned programs should then feed into an HR
policy about the use of non-sanctioned software on your corporate PCs
with suitable disincentives attached -- loss of bonuses or other
performance payments, "black marks" in the promotion ladder, formal
warnings, etc.

--
Nick FitzGerald
Computer Virus Consulting Ltd.