Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: FW: Tim recommended you

From: Brian McWilliams <brian () pc-radio com>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 19:11:33 -0400

At 04:09 PM 9/8/2003, Gregory A. Gilliss wrote:
spam doesn't have anything to do with security

Random complaints about spammering may have no place on F-D, but spamming has *everything* to do with security.

1. Spammers usually rely on open mail relays to send their junk e-mails.

2. Spammers often use insecure FormMail scripts to send their junk e-mails.

3. Spammers recently have begun sending "net-send" or Windows Messenger spams targeting folks on Windows PCs without adequate firewalls or port settings.

4. Spammers use social engineering techniques such as spoofed "From" lines in their messages.

I'm sure there are other techniques I'm forgetting. But you get the idea.

B.
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html