Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: My response to both the analysis of CIPE by Gutmann, Slashdot and the response by the CIPE list

From: Alexandre Dulaunoy <alexandre.dulaunoy () ael be>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 12:52:39 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Florian Weimer wrote:

On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 03:43:06AM +0200, Jake Appelbaum wrote:

After reading Gutmann's short but to the point email a few points that
he made seemed obvious. Some of the flaws were not so obvious. CIPE
seemed to have some very simple flaws and some of the fixes were easy to
implement.

The CRC flaw is not easy to correct.

I found a some of it delivered in such a manner that would upset people
who were highly vested in the projects he was criticizing. Perhaps it was
the comment that I also found to be so amusing, something to do with
sound waves. Amusing as it may be, it's still quite harsh.

Especially as some of the flaws (the replay attacks) are actually
documented in the manual.

I then read through the posts on Slashdot that declared CIPE to be
dead. I found these to be really immature and silly considering the
nature of F/OSS.

Maybe it's not dead, but I'd rather not use security software which is
unmaintained.  (Several people tried to reach Olaf and failed.)

FYI

Around the same subject and about the Peter's paper :

http://openvpn.sourceforge.net/

and a reply from Peter and the author about OpenVPN :

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=3177601&forum_id=8453
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=6123958

OpenVPN is free software and there is a port for WIN32 too...

--
--                   Alexandre Dulaunoy (adulau) -- http://www.foo.be/
--         http://pgp.ael.be:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x44E6CBCD

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.