Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: The usefullness of IDSes (Was: Re: Is Marty Lying?)

From: Cedric Blancher <blancher () cartel-securite fr>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 20:39:35 +0200

Le mar 23/09/2003 à 10:01, Philippe Bogaerts a écrit :
I totally agree.  An IDS for auditing firewall or other policies can be
usefull, if properly configured.

Agree.
In conjunction with a conventional audit or open pentest, a well
configured IDS framework can point where security policy is broken.

I simple hate the fact that most vendors
position their IDS product as an attack blocking device. The only thing they
can is actually RST tcp connections (sometimes).  My opnion is that is quite
a simple and basic method for doing attack blocking.

It is a simple and basic one, but sometimes ineffective. Juste think of
Slamer that uses a single UDP packet to replicate. Even if your IDS can
detect this, it is already to late.

The thing I really hate is IDs vendors that come to you with a "my IDS
can do all the blocking stuff for you". I went to an IDS demo with an
old badly configured FW1 firewall, a IIS 4 webserver and a root'o'matic
WuFTPd. First part, cracker can go through and root everything. Second
part, I plug my IDS sensors, enable FW1 plugin, and see, all attackes
are blocked ! You're now secure. I hate this. I really do (and people
from this IDS vendors seems to hate me as well now ;)).

--
http://www.netexit.com/~sid/
PGP KeyID: 157E98EE FingerPrint: FA62226DA9E72FA8AECAA240008B480E157E98EE

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html