Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Is Marty Lying?

From: pdt () jackhammer org
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 19:37:25 -0500 (CDT)

So I hate to bring this up but this comment is borderline on the idiotic
side...  A quick google search on the meaning of IDS would have explained
to you what IDS means.  Incase that isn't something you are versed in I
have done the hard work for you:
http://www.sans.org/resources/idfaq/what_is_id.php

And if for some reason were google to go away and you once again had to
think and figure out what things meant by building on the meanings you
could take a quick trip out to dictionary.com or grep a dead tree and
figure out the meaning.

intrusion:
n 2: entrance by force or without permission or welcome

detection:
n 1: the perception that something has occurred or some state exists

system:
n 1: a group of independent but interrelated elements comprising a unified
whole

So... lets put those together shall we?  The descriptions above would make
me think that IDS means a group of detection mechanisms that can sniff out
intruders.  For someone to be an intruder they have to take action that
would intrude.  So yes, the damage has been done.

    The best analogy I have heard is echoed by a post that just showed up
in my inbox.  It doesn't seem very useless to have security cameras
pointing at bank vaults and keeping an eye on priceless art and on the
entry points and exit points leading to those vaults and national
treasures.  That way we can go back later and say ok, how did they get
the money and who the h$ll was it?
    I don't know about you but I am glad those cameras don't have guns
mounted on them to go ahead and shoot anybody trying to steal the
money.  What happens if they get confused and kill some poor booger
just trying to go to his safety deposit box?  Granted my example
wouldn’t make me very sad, but there are some people that I don’t want
to see go out the way of the dodo.

Anyhow, long story short IPS != IDS and booger == CISSP == further drives
the point home that certs are useless.

"Detect intrusions" - if you can set an IDS signature for something, then
you shouldn't be vulnerable to it.  So the functionality of IDS is to tell
you when you've been compromised by six-month old public vulnerabilities
that dvdman has finally gotten his hands on an exploit for, that you never
bothered to patch for?

Useless.

"Whitehat by day, booger at night - I'm the security snot."
- CISSP / CCNA / A+ Certified - www.unixclan.net/~booger/ -