Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: OT: An odd question that has arrisen within my household

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 12:17:15 -0400

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 07:25:32 PDT, security snot said:

Let me demonstrate the proactive security practices of the OpenBSD team at
it's finest.

  http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=openbsd-misc&m=106523413529618&w=2

Must I spell it out for you?  Proactively secure!

Odd.  All I see there is Theo saying that he's deleted the patch and taken control
"because it DOES matter", and that the guilty party is free to resubmit the patch
*done correctly* (i.e. with all the proper documentation/commentary).

And yes, that's being *PRO*actively secure.  Theo isn't letting crap into the
tree unless there's a proper audit trail and documentation.  Yes, there may be
some really good reason that the person feels "this fix has to go out RIGHT now",
but said person isn't balancing "it can wait 2 frikking hours while the paperwork
gets done *right*" and "3 years from now the lack of paperwork will come back and
bite them on the collective ass".

Yes, Theo can be an abrasive asshole when he wants to.  But in the cited article, he's
in the right.