Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: openssh exploit code?

From: Peter Busser <peter () adamantix org>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 12:29:53 +0200

Hello Security Snot,

You
probably enjoy the multiple levels of admitted "obscurity features" (check
the Brad Spengler vs. OpenBSD Team threads just about anywhere, Theo's
quotes on w^x being an "obscurity feature" to thwart attacks from lesser
skilled attackers - since after all, the lesser skilled attackers are the
real threat, right?).

Are you refering to the following discussion?
http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/openbsd/2003-04/1678.html

I think you haven't thoroughly read the discussion. The obscurity features
refered to in this case are the various address space layout randomisation
(ASLR) features. ASLR is just one of the W^R features.

The ASLR is indeed an obscurity feature. It depends on the assumption that the
attacker does not know the exact placement of the
executable/libraries/stack/heap in memory.

It is a public secret that secure systems do not exist and are not technically
possible at this time. And that is just the technical side of the problem,
there is also a social aspect to security, which is a whole different can of
worms. As such, ASLR is not the final answer to security problems. It is just
a way to raise the bar, and hope that noone is able to jump over it.

Encryption is also an ``obscurity feature''. And encrypted passwords have been
known to be crackable. Does that make encrypted passwords any less valuable? I
don't think so.

The following message proves that at least it is effective against some
attacks:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=20030525190037%2470c6%40gated-at.bofh.it
This is of course about PaX and not W^R, but the basic feature set is more or
less similar (although PaX predates W^R, lest anyone starts accusing PaX people
from copying features from OpenBSD).

So yeah, FUD.  If I told you there are still exploitable preauthentication
bugs in OpenSSH, would that just be FUD too?  FUD until the next advisory
is published on that horribly designed codebase, FUD until the threat is
demonstrated, right?  Bet you'd like to see yourself eat your words, so
you can generate a little more revenue with your security job. . .

There are probably tons of vulnerabilities in OpenSSH. It is after all a rather
complicated piece of software. It is a public secret that complex software
often contains serious bugs. So what exactly is your point? Why are you
restating the obvious?

And when you talk about credibility, I think you are the one here who has a
credibility problem. I mean, you shout about things you apparently do not fully
understand. Take the ``obscurity feature'' above, you use one feature of a set
of different features to dismiss the usefullness of the whole set. That is not
really a logical thing to do. That is no problem, I mean, you don't have to
feel ashamed about not understanding something complicated. You are certainly
not alone, everyone has things he/she does not understand (I know I don't
understand many things).

Groetjes,
Peter Busser
--
The Adamantix Project
Taking trustworthy software out of the labs, and into the real world

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html