Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: SunnComm to sue 'Shift key' student for $10m

From: Florian Weimer <fw () deneb enyo de>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 08:52:21 +0200

Nick Jacobsen wrote:

it seems to me the perfect chance for a countersuite...  cause at least
as far as I know, most state's definition of computer crime would
include installing software on a machine withough the owners permission.
or knowlege..  and since that is what SunnComm's protection is doing...

According to the report, the software shows an EULA before the system is
modified, so there is user consent.

By the way, the subject line is misleading.  SunnComm doesn't sue
because of the "shift key" description (the company isn't *that*
stupid), but because of the removal instructions for the Trojan Horse.
These instructions could be indeed illegal to publish in the United
States and other countries because they are specifically designed to
circumvent an effective measure for restricting copies.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html