Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Do you really think CDs will be protected in future?

From: "Dave Howe" <DaveHowe () cmn sharp-uk co uk>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 18:27:45 +0100

David Vincent wrote:
to put my mind at ease, please define "better" than the original.
I did - but I don't think it made it to the server yet :)

Ignoring the massive compilation cds (and the sad fact that most of the
ready-to-play cds will be taken *from* mp3 format) It is certainly
possible to use an older cdrom drive to "rip" the audio as a clean .wav
file, then reburn without any encoding loss - but without the software
protection, deliberate errors, and possibly with "value added" features
such as lyrics, discography and so forth added either to the subtrack data
or to a second "pc" session.

by "better" do you may mean more portable, as in I can now put several
albums on a single CDR and play that in a laptop etc. for more hours
of music from a single CD form factor.
or create a compilation album - many people complain that albums are
basically two good tracks and ten that will never make it into the charts
as singles - assuming you get as many as 12.

exactly, there is nothing stopping me from using my discman, plugging
the audio jack into the back of my pc and doing a good old fashioned
dub of the disc.  sure it is slow, but since these copy "protected"
cds will play on standard equipment the only real degradation of the
sound would be from the analog cable and some (likely) minor noise
from the pc's internal components.
It was possible to make high-quality audio-audio copies in the old analog
copying days.
odd that so many were of such terrible quality isn't it? that is because
decent audio equipment is expensive, but a tape-to-tape "ghetto blaster"
is both cheap and easily replaced if confiscated.
For most "car boot sale" pirates, arrest and confiscation weren't an
occupational hazard, they were an expected and factored-in cost of the
process.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html