Full Disclosure mailing list archives

AW: IE Changes / Software Patents

From: Michael Elsdörfer <michael () elsdoerfer net>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 15:23:13 +0200

I wonder how many users will know that they can close the window, opting
not to display the activeX, instead of hitting OK to allow it.  It's
pretty bad design to give the user a choice with only one option....

I do not think that the final version will display the same dialog box. This
is just a kind of preview version, that web authors can test there pages.

Unless of course, you really don't want them to choose the alternative.
I think it's obvious what M$ is trying to do here.

Yeah, what? Perhaps trying not to act against some stupid patent?

admin () lists netsys com] Im Auftrag von Mark
I just found a very interesting effect of software patents:

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2003/oct03/10-06EOLASPR.asp

As was posted on this list not so far ago, Microsoft lost a case against
Eolas on some aspects of ActiveX embedding in IE. Their technical
reaction is a good sample of what software patents cause:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/ieupdate/activexchanges.asp

I wonder how many users will know that they can close the window, opting
not to display the activeX, instead of hitting OK to allow it.  It's
pretty bad design to give the user a choice with only one option....

Unless of course, you really don't want them to choose the alternative.

I think it's obvious what M$ is trying to do here.

Mark

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html