Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: IE Changes / Software Patents

From: Andrew Clover <and-bugtraq () doxdesk com>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 11:33:26 +0000

Mark <marklist () comcast net> wrote:

I wonder how many users will know that they can close the window,
opting not to display the activeX, instead of hitting OK

Actually this is not the case (in the interim update anyway -
presumably the final IE6SP1b will be similar). Closing the window
does the same as clicking 'OK'. Blocking ActiveX must still be done
using the normal security settings.

(The only way to stop the plugin once one has reached the pointless
dialogue is to kill the iexplore.exe process.)

It's pretty bad design to give the user a choice with only one
option....

I think this is deliberate. Faced with having to add a pointless
legal contrivance, MS have made it as obviously stupid as possible.
Perhaps this will encourage web authors to update.

--
Andrew Clover
mailto:and () doxdesk com

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.