Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: OSX 10.3 Personal Firewall.

From: "S . f . Stover" <attica () stackheap org>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 01:15:17 -0500

: > Especially since the majority of OSX users will employ the GUI
: > firewall configuration application as their primary form of
: > Internet protection.
: >
:
: You have numbers?  Big statement.  The majority of OSX users *I* know
: have their own custom ipfw script. :)

I would agree, except I've been spending some time on the Apple Discussion
boards lately, and, well, holy shit but there are a ton of OS X users there
who don't know dick about the underlying BSD architecture.  No, I don't have
numbers, but the person on those boards who actually uses Terminal is few and
far between.

I think a lot of *nix users have adopted OS X (or plan to), but ALL the
freaking existing Classic users are still there, and they are just as bad as
your typical Windoze user.  Worse maybe, because they've been informed that
they don't have to think about security because no one ever hacks Macs (which
is starting to change ;-)

Just my $0.02.

--

aka Dolph Longhorn
attica () stackheap org

"There is no such thing as right and wrong, there's just popular opinion."
-Jeffrey Goines