Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Off topic programming thread

From: "Schmehl, Paul L" <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 17:33:47 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Brett Hutley [mailto:brett () hutley net]
Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2003 12:13 AM
To: Bill Royds
Cc: madsaxon; full-disclosure () lists netsys com
Subject: Re: [Full-disclosure] Off topic programming thread

I think what you're really saying is that C allows
programmers to make
mistakes when dealing with areas of memory. The above
vulnerability is
based on a mistake in the code.
(If I was to code the above prototype BTW, I'd probably make it more
like "static void defang(const char *str, char *dfstr,
unsigned dfsize)"
to indicate to programmers calling the function that the first
argument's contents is immutable, the second argument is the
destination
buffer, and the size shouldn't be negative).

Yes!  This is precisely what I am talking about.

If programmers wrote code like this, then they'd be perfectly justified,
for example, to simply return an error if dfsize was negative.  After
all, you were warned. :-)  It would be trivial to check for proper input
there and simply return an error if it's wrong.

So why isn't this the norm rather than the exception?  Or is it the
norm?

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas