Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: Funny article

From: Mikael Olsson <mikael.olsson () clavister com>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 03:20:14 +0100

David Maynor wrote:

Mikael Olsson wrote:
counting bugs in
the most commonly used [apps] is most certainly reasonable.

What about apps that run on both windows and linux?

If it's a common enough app to count, its vulnerability count
should of course be included in both totals.  That was my point.

When you start
counting 3rd party apps in the equation, you are throwing a horrible
slant into the mix. This is similar to getting a new 3rd party part for
your car then blaming the carmaker when that part fails. Microsoft needs
to include things like apache becasue the make both their OS and the
webserver, so a comaprsion of security flaws broken down by responsible
groups would make Microsoft look horrible.

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but the script kiddies don't care
about zealotry. I have yet to hear one say "Oh, this is a Linux
box, so I can't use this Apache bug to own it. That'd be rong."

If I expose N attack vectors, I want the vulnerability counts for
all those vectors nicely summed up for platform options A, B and
C before I choose which platform to use.

Saying "the linux kernel has only foo bugs while every microsoft
app combined has foo^3 bugs" makes no sense in a security
discussion. You don't read mail or serve web pages with a kernel.

Again, I suspect we're in violent agreement of the platform of
choice for all relevant areas of use, but I prefer to make my
choices on _relevant_ facts, and so, I suspect, does the
majority of security-conscious people.

Publishing an _unbiased_ report of total vulnerability counts
for two or more OSes, with common apps installed, is a service
to admins everywhere.  (And no, I _really_ don't think comparing
RH6 with W2K3 is "unbiased". I think it stinks.)

Regards,
/Mikael

--
Mikael Olsson, Clavister AB
Storgatan 12, Box 393, SE-891 28 ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK, Sweden

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html