Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Red Hat Linux end-of-life update and transition planning

From: "Akos Szalkai" <szalkai () 2fkft com>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 19:54:16 +0100

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 11:40:06AM -0600, Schmehl, Paul L wrote:
Well, yes, you should.  If I've released my book as "open source" under
the GPL, then by contract I have specifically authorized you to
repackage it and sell it in any form you want so long as you don't alter
my work.  Want you cannot do is claim that the original work is yours.
And you can't prevent anyone else from taking that same book and
repackaging it and selling it.

And you also have to make the source code for your book available.  This
is a bad example, because the GPL is simply unsuitable for books.
(Even a freely downloadable pdf version cannot be considered source
code.)  And you can prevent me from selling (or redistributing in any
manner) your GPL'd stuff if I do not comply with the GPL.  IANAL, though.

You just don't understand the GPL.

Hmmm, probably not everybody does.

--
Akos Szalkai <szalkai () 2f hu>