Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Fw: Red Hat Linux end-of-life update and transition planning

From: "Jonathan A. Zdziarski" <jonathan () nuclearelephant com>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 10:11:12 -0500

But the author does benefit through increased distribution of code.

Wow.  And the distributor benefits through increased profit.

And, if that little wrapper is an improvement, then it must be
distributed as code.  From that, the author may benefit as well.

Let the author of the wrapper distribute their wrapper without the app
if they're making a profit on it...or work something out with the
author.

As an author, you can release your code under whatever you want.

True, but if you have a proprietary license instead of a standardized
license, it's unlikely that commercial organizations will touch it (even
the ones you want to).

 The whole point of the GPL is to keep code open now, AND in the future.  If
you want that, then it is perfect for you.  In fact, it is almost the
embodiment of the spirit of original Copyright.  Have you ever been
given a book that allows you to know what was in it, but doesn't show
you the words?  Sound rediculous?

I agree all code should be kept open...but I shouldn't be able to
download someone else's book online and then sell it, now should I?

And how the hell am I supposed to enforce my copyright on other
companies if the code they write, under copyright, is only released as
binaries?

I agree...I'm not suggesting that there is anything wrong with the
open-source aspect of the GPL, only in its licensing for redistribution.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html