Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Fw: Red Hat Linux end-of-life update and transition planning

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 16:35:34 -0500

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 14:30:41 EST, Eric Bowser said:
Basically "Screw OpenSource, we want to make money."

Well. Yeah.  Take a look at their books:

http://www.corporate-ir.net/ireye/ir_site.zhtml?ticker=RHAT&script=410&layout=-6&item_id=450143

Where is the income for supporting the free version?  I don't see it
anywhere.

Do you see what their "total gain from operations" is for the last quarter?  A
whole whopping $240K.That's cutting it *damned* close.  $30M in cash flow and
only $240K profit, a whopping 0.8% margin.

Did I mention it's their first quarter in the black?

Feel free to suggest an alternate *business* model for them to follow,
that guarantees they can keep paying everybody.