Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Fw: A question for the list...

From: Cedric Blancher <blancher () cartel-securite fr>
Date: 27 May 2003 10:39:55 +0200

Le mar 27/05/2003 à 09:10, Nick Jacobsen a écrit :
There is one thing sort of left out so far, I beleive...  according to most
jurisdictions, wether something is copyrighted or not, you still have the
right to qoute from it, as long as you attribute it to the author.

Sure.

But in France, we have what we call "private conversation"* which rules
what is exchanged _between a limited number of known persons_. This kind
of conversation is secret, and applies to phone, mail, etc. and,
according to jurisprudence (november 2000), applies to email. This means
if I send you (and you only) an email, according to french law, you're
not allowed to quote it to another person or publicly without my
permission, even if you attribute this to me.

On the other hand, public posts (mailing lists, newsgroups, web sites,
etc.) are not covered by this law (jurisprudence tends to cover them
with press legislation), and thus can be freely quoted.

In practice, email usage is very laxist and most people implicitly agree
the fact their email could be quoted or forwarded. But for some
situations, I would not like my personnal emails to be forwarded to
anybody ;)

* correspondance privée

--
Cédric Blancher  <blancher () cartel-securite fr>
IT systems and networks security - Cartel Sécurité