Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: HEADS UP VIRUS BEING SPREAD one of our rea

From: "Ed Carp" <erc () pobox com>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 01:51:43 -0500

It is an existing, well-known (and "old") virus, reliably ID'ed by
just about any virus scanner updated since late Feb this year.  There
are abundant informed and informative descriptions of how it works
all over the web.  It seems Mr Wood and your good self must be about
the only "security experts" who have not already encountered it.

I wonder, how does one make oneself such an excellent target for virii so
one can claim bragging rights such as those?  "Gee, we were the *first* to
discover XXX virus!"  Or does that mean someone at the company was stupid
enough to double-click on an unknown attachment from someone they didn't
know?  Or is the trick to subscribe to every known mailing list in
existence, so as to be spammed to death in hopes of discovering something
new?

Of course, most of these so-called "security firms" and such are just a guy
in the basement of his parent's house anyway...

--Ed the cynic

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html