Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Viral hoax

From: "morning_wood" <se_cur_ity () hotmail com>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 19:11:00 -0700

Basicly a nomal "real file = virus" hoax
this time jdvmgr.exe - java debug manager i presume.. aww it has a cute icon

morning_wood
http://exploit.wox.org
http://frame4.com

A virus has been passed on to me by a contact. My address book WAS
infected. Since you are in my address book, there is a good chance you
will
find it in your computer too.

The virus (called jdbgmgr.exe) is not detected by Norton or McAfee
Anti-virus systems. The virus sits quietly for 14 days before damaging the
system.

It is sent automatically by messengers and by address book, whether or not
you sent email to your contacts.

Here's how to check for the virus and how to get rid of it:

YOU MUST DO THIS:
1. Go to Start, Find or search option
2. In the file folder option, type the name jdbgmgr.exe
3. Be sure you search your C: drive and all sub-folders and any other
drives
you have have.
4. Click "find now"
5. The Virus has a Teddy Bear icon with the name jdbgmgr.exe

DO NOT OPEN IT!!!!!

6. Go to Edit (on the menu bar), choose "select all" to highlight the file
without opening it.
7. Now go to File (on the menu bar) and select delete. It will go to the
Recycle Bin. Delete items in bin.

IF YOU FIND THE VIRUS, YOU MUST CONTACT ALL THE PEOPLE IN YOUR ADDRESS
BOOK,
SO THEY CAN ERADICATE IT IN THEIR OWN ADDRESS BOOKS.

To do this:
a) Open a new email message
b) Click the icon of the address book next to the "TO"
c) Highlight every name and add to "BCC"
d) Copy this message enter subject past to e-mail

Please forward this message to EVERYONE in your address book.

I did have it in my systems. It just takes 2 minutes to get rid of it.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html