Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: DCOM RPC exploit (dcom.c)

From: "Jennifer Bradley" <jenbradley () webmail co za>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 18:40:09 +0200

I don't think you were reading the advisories properly... ;)

MSDE (Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Edition) was vulnerable, which many
products use, including Office, Visual Studio .NET, etc.  Just to
refresh your memory, here's a list of products that contain MSDE

http://www.sqlsecurity.com/forum/applicationslistgridall.aspx

So, it is not a corner-case at all, not even in the slightest bit.
VPNs are common enough these days, so the chances of someone VPNing
into a network with an infected or infectable computer is actually
pretty high.

In the same vein, it looks like if a worm is released, it will most
probably be easily transferable into any corporate domain that has
VPNs as well, since every un-patched Windows is vulnerable.

jb

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 00:41:22 -0700 (PDT) Nathan Seven