Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Odd Behavior - Windows Messenger Service

From: "gregh" <chows () ozemail com au>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 12:03:49 +1000

----- Original Message -----
From: Bojan Zdrnja
To: full-disclosure () lists netsys com
Sent: Saturday, July 19, 2003 11:09 AM
Subject: RE: [Full-disclosure] Odd Behavior - Windows Messenger Service

I don't see a reason on bashing WinXP for starting a RPC service
automatically when absolutely everything does that (don't mention obsolete
Oses please).

I wonder if that is the sort of thinking that the last Lemming thinks as it jumps over the cliff to a watery death
below.

I dont know if it is but I do know that is exactly the thinking of the people I do work for when I firt turn up at
their businesses. Eg, the company next door and the people I know dont see a need for a virus program to protect THEIR
A$200 windows boxes so why should I shell out US$35 to protect my >A$500,000 a year business when it is obvious things
would come to a grinding halt for at least a couple of days if my hard disks minus any reasonable backup were wiped?

I dont tell them "expect the unexpected". I point out the name of a competitor and ask who they would rather be in the
lead -themselves or the competitor then point out weaknesses and why "Lemming thinking" leads to death.

Greg.
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html