Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: rumours of new Cisco IOS vulnerability

From: Rob Lemos <robert () infoserf net>
Date: 16 Jul 2003 17:23:06 -0700

I have been told that the July 9 issue is not the flaw in question.

Here is as much detail as I have confirmed at this point:

http://news.com.com/2100-1035_3-1026518.html?tag=fd_top

-R

On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 13:14, christopher neitzert wrote:
Details about the vulnerability here:
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/707/cisco-sa-20030709-swtcp.shtml

Summary
After receiving eight TCP connection attempts using a non-standard TCP
flags combination, a Catalyst switch will stop responding to further TCP
connections to that particular service. In order to re-establish
functionality of that service, the switch must be rebooted. There is no
workaround. This vulnerability affects only CatOS. No other Cisco
products are affected.

--
| robert lemos | computer & tech journalist |
| v: 510/481-8166 | e: robert () infoserf net  |

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html