Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft wins Homeland Security Bid ( Reuters)

From: northern snowfall <dbailey27 () ameritech net>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 17:56:03 -0500

The point I am missing here - we might not like M$ to have won, but who else
could? It is a government, so think big companies. Would you rather it was
Symantec or IBM? Or think about the big systems integrators EDS and CSC
style <yuk> would that be much better? Smaller players like Veridian or
Secureinfo - would we be served any better if they could actually make
themselves credible? Nah, don't think so - it was bound to be a big one. Big
organizations want big suppliers....

Actually, IBM wouldn't be too bad. Apple would be a great
option. Apple has a decent security history, not to mention
it runs on top of a great RISC processor. With the introduction
of MacOS X, backed by a company with a good consistency for
user support, Apple would actually be a good move.

EDS isn't so bad. At least they work closely with RSA and
keep their eyes on up-to-date security techniques and
vulnerabilities.

Don

http://www.7f.no-ip.com/~north_

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.