Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Microsoft Cries Wolf ( again )

From: "Scott" <aldr1c () nildram co uk>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 16:27:28 +0100

Good Point, well presented.

;-)

Doc

-----Original Message-----
From: Ron DuFresne [mailto:dufresne () winternet com]
Sent: Sunday, July 13, 2003 4:20 PM
To: Scott
Cc: full-disclosure () lists netsys com
Subject: RE: [Full-disclosure] Microsoft Cries Wolf ( again )

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003, Scott wrote:

All,

      Maybe I am just a bit paranoid, but how many people would trust a
vendor to harden a box prior to shipping?  I for one always reinstall from
clean/trusted media when a new/used box comes through the door.

      If the hardened box from a vendor (kudos to Dell for trying this
anyway) and it gets cracked, is there a cause for blame or legal action
against the vendor for false advertising, repair costs etc?  Would
something
like this be possible?

      I would be interested in knowing what riders or caveats vendors
would ship with the hardened product.

It all comes down to trust in the end, however there are few people in
this
life that I trust that much (sad isn't it!).

Before one can validate the the depth of the commitment, one must first
get a commitment.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
        ***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html