Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Internet Explorer 6 DoS Bug

From: Troy <th () zeno com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 11:04:39 -0700

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 18:25:01 +0200, fabian.becker2 () epost de wrote:

Hi,
I found a bug in IE6 ón Windows XP with all Service Packs and Patches installed:
If you enter C:\aux in the adressline of the IE (not EXPLORER, InternetExplorer)
and hit enter, the window will freeze. This bug is simmilar to C:\con\con
but not as dagerous. But its the same reason, naimly that windows trys to
open aux, a hardware device in earlier windows versions.
I already sended an email to Microsoft but they said the bug wouldn't exist.

I reproduced this in 2K and Me as well. In Me, the freeze was
particularly bad, as even Windows Explorer locked up. 2K recovered much
more nicely.

It sounds like MS is taking the "Neo approach" to this by saying "there
is no bug."

--
Troy

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.