Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: re: Global HIGH Security Risk

From: Jonathan Rickman <jonathan () xcorps net>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 09:13:25 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, ^Shadown^ wrote:

Dear Folks,

      Thanks for your answers helpping me on how to post this information without getting in trouble.
      And to the ones that treat me as if I were stupid, all I have to say is that it was just simple. I don't know
why it's not been documented, I've googled hard but couldn't find any thing about it.
      I've set up a server behind a fw (ipchains) without gcc, with a vulnerable daemon, the fw was set up just to
allow the server to go through out by the binded daemon port only.
      What I did first was just to code an exploit for the vulnerable daemon and added a simple command sequence to
write down to the server an uuencoded file using vi editor, then uudecode it and un-tar.gz and that way could upload
binary files (which could be tools, sniffers, local exploits, etc). That way I could upload binary to execute on the
remote server. But I've wanted to download files too (text and binaries) so I've coded a sniffer which listens for a
specific ID-secuence to start/stop dumping to a file. And coded a tool to send the ID-secuence and the file to the
sniffer. All this worked right.
      Then I removed all the programas that could be used as an text editor (joe, vim, cat, ed, etc),
uudecode/uuencode, and compressing file tools.
      And I began to develop a technique which may be apply in any exploit code.
      It could be done many ways. Every coder is gonna do it it's own way, but I did it mine.
      I've coded an exploit with few options -f file_to_upload -s spawn_shell.
      The exploit sends diferent encrypted shellcodes depending the options.
      A shellcode sends and writes down to /tmp the file which firstly was fragmented by the exploit to be inserted
into the multi shellcode sequence.(-f)
      The other is a standard shellcode.
      As simple as this, so you can upload and download any file type, and executed on the remote server.
      I think this explains the idea.
      I wish to post the PoC, but don't wanna get in trouble.
      Cheers,
              ^Shadown^

Again, I'm not trying to play the antagonist here, just asking a question.
If what you're saying is, you placed a vulnerable service behind a packet
filter that allowed inbound connections to the vulnerable service...well,
duh. Of course you can run the exploit.

I'm a bit confused by this statement

"allow the server to go through out by the binded daemon port only"

Are you saying that it's set up the way I described in the paragraph
above?

Once again, I'm not being critical...just trying to get through the
language barrier.

- --
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security