Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: CounterAttack

From: "Schmehl, Paul L" <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 09:08:40 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Bankston [mailto:suse () mail bciassociates com]
Sent: Friday, August 01, 2003 8:04 AM
To: full-disclosure () lists netsys com
Subject: Re: [Full-disclosure] CounterAttack

Phil, I have to echo the other comments, because sometimes
your return fire invites an escalation before you know all of
the facts. We spend alot of time in the forensics of an
attack to understand if first it is _us_ letting the
vunerability in where we coulde have simply made our systems,
firewalls, and perimeter routers more secure in the first place.

There's another aspect as well.  Often if you attack a computer that's
attacking you, you will be attacking an innocent victim that has been
hacked themselves.  (And no, I don't want to get in to the argument of
whether or not they're really innocent, they should have patched, yada,
yada, yada).  In that case, your response accomplishes nothing
meaningful.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas