Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: AV "feature" does more DDoS than Sobig

From: Ron DuFresne <dufresne () winternet com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 13:55:11 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003, Richard M. Smith wrote:

Ron,

   >>> else, you become part of the perpetual
   >>> 'SPAM/viri-by-product" problem, wasting
   >>> and consuming bandwidth

Actually, it's important to get these false AV warning messages shut
off.  One company that I contacted told me that they have already sent
out hundreds of thousands of false warning messages about Sobig.F.  They
are now working to get this feature turned off.  It looks like they are
running some sort homebrew software and not a commercial package.

While I agree with you in concept and theory, I can tell you by
implimentation and experience, they will persist from most sites for the
duration.  Much as most the hacked/compromised systems that are the core
of the problem, will also persist to be issues and core parts of the
problem for a long long time.  Example, the number of systems still
infested with nimda/code-red that hit my logs years now, after the fact.
Some after more then one notice  and/or call to folks that handle the
systems but, remain clueless.  There isn't a lart large enough to dispense
enough clues to go around.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
        ***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html