Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: RE: [ISN] DARPA pulls OpenBSD funding

From: Ron DuFresne <dufresne () winternet com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 09:06:51 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003, Ed Carp wrote:

Free speech means the government cannot put you in jail for the
things you say
or believe.

I disagree.  I have no way to know what the current legal definition of
free speech is, or to what point the first ammendment has currently been
eroded.  It says something to the effect of "Congress shall make no law"
... "abridging the freedom of speech..."

It doesn't matter if you disagree or not - Congress and the Supreme Court
get todecide what 'free speech" is, not you or I or anyone else on this
list.

I was taught that what that means is that my government doesn't get to
limit what I say about my government.

Then you were taught incorrectly.

Then it has to be asked, what would have been the *correct* teaching on
this?

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
        ***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html