Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: Internet Security Update

From: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles () skynet be>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 00:44:05 +0200

At 9:51 AM +1300 2003/04/09, Nick FitzGerald wrote:

 What did you search for???

Various strings that appeared in the message, including "April 2003, Cumulative Patch", "Microsoft Product Support Services", "goregwiz.asp", etc....

 Note the obvious (to native English speakers) grammatical error
 common to folk who learnt English as a second language who often
 struggle with articles?

This is irrelevant. It was pretty obvious that this was not a real Microsoft security announcement. No amount of your whipping a dead horse will convince me that this might possibly have been something that I was thinking of.

My point was that this appeared to be the results of a virus or Trojan Horse that I had not previously heard of, that I had done reasonable searches using general-purpose search engines as well as the virus/Trojan Horse/hoax-specific engines provided by the anti-virus vendors, and was wondering if anyone else had any other information.

 Googling for the phrase "this is the latest version of security
 update" turned up about 780 hits, the first ten of which were all
 antivirus developer virus descriptions or various security company or
 security service teams' warnings about the (then) new Gibe.B virus.

That is not one of the phrases that I happened to Google for. I searched on what I considered to be the obvious phrases, and did not get any hits.

 Finally, isn't it illegal in Belgium to spread viruses?  I hope any
 members of your local constabulary on this list take a lenient view
 of your including what you clearly thought was a suspicious
 attachment (and is, in fact, a virus) in your post to many thousands
 of people...

Ahh, okay. So being an asshole is a European thing, and not just restricted to the Belgians.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles () skynet be>

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html