Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Symantec Buys SecurityFocus, among others....

From: full-disclosure () lists netsys com (Charles 'core' Stevenson)
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 14:56:52 -0600

Jay,

      Perhaps the best way to beat these cash hounds at their own game
is to start using a strictly not-for-profit licensing on all released
advisories and proof-of-concept code which stipulates that for-profit
companies may not use said information in any way.

That's exactly what needs to happen :)

      Let's face it: the for-profit companies have been leeching off the
community for years and giving nothing back save for sponsorship of key
escrow, further draconian legislation, and advocacy of a security cabal
(which they would control) that would take free information and bundle it
as a pay-for product/service.

Amen.

      Look, I have nothing against someone trying to make a buck.  That
is the cornerstone of the capitalist system.  What burns my biscuits is
that the monolithic security companies are not making this money off their
own efforts[1], but by leeching off the egalitarian contributions of those
who possess a skill set the businesses are not willing to pay for.

Well said! I'm not sure I really have much to say except yes yes yes!

peace,
core

- -Jay

1.  About the only real effort I see from corporate security firms these
    days is whipping up FUD-filled press releases to scare the living
    bejeezus out of the masses about "cyber-terrorism" and other happy
    horseshit.

  ))   ))   .--"There's always time for a good cup of coffee"--.   >====<--.
 `--' `--'  `-- I'll be diplomatic...when I run out of ammo. --'  `------'