Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Trustworthy Computing Mini-Poll

From: Georgi Guninski <guninski () guninski com>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 14:29:26 +0200

Simon Richter wrote:

>What
>features will my new computer have, that will convince me to lose certain
>options I have right now - playing music, copying what I like, etc?.

I'd say protection from binary viruses and stack overflows, plus if
someone breaks into your computer and you have stored your key in a safe
place you can tell what she modified. So this would be a definitve must
if you're builing a server, and I'm asking now whether you would like
those features on your home box as well, even if you had to give up DVD
copying or get special illegal hardware for it.

"Illegal hardware"???
Is my customized linux "illegal software" under this nonsense?
The people proposing such nonsense should get real - there are quite a ways to modify processes execution, the simplest being a debugger.
Or are they proposing outlawing debuggers?
As in:
The Right to Read
by Richard Stallman

Georgi Guninski