Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: SMB overflow attacks

From: full-disclosure () lists netsys com (Peter Gutmann)
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 17:42:24 +1200 (NZST)

"Jason Coombs" <jasonc () science org> writes:

Does anyone have any information about why System binds to a port above 1024,
and what can be done, if anything, to force Windows 2000/XP/.NET Server to
stop binding to port 445 TCP and UDP?

445 is the new NetBIOS [0], and just as easy to get rid of (i.e. you don't,
you block it at the firewall).  I assume from your post that you've already
tried the old NetBIOS trick of binding it to the loopback NIC?  I wish they'd
at least have an option to bind all the random uncontrollable junk to
127.0.0.1 rather than 0.0.0.0...

Peter.

[0] Quite literally.  MS took all the NetBIOS stuff they knew about and moved
    it to 445, leaving the stuff they didn't know about to wither at 13x.