Full Disclosure mailing list archives

(no subject)

From: full-disclosure () lists netsys com (full-disclosure () lists netsys com)
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 08:59:43 -0700

Matthew,

     "These people" are a phenomenon brought about by our own actions.  We have enlisted technology to such a degree in
this industry that we begin to "trust" it.  Do you like trust relationships?  When it comes to my computers I dont care
if its an 8-bit machine or a 64-bit machine... I dont allow trust.  Because I know who wrote the technology... humans.
Lets not forget that this is why we are in business to begin with.

We in the security industry would like to be the biggest sticks on the block.  Nothing wrong with that.  The only thing
wrong with that is we have to actually swing the stick.  I think collectively we have what it takes... its just that
there is a HUGE amount of apathy in the industry.  When it comes to getting ideas into technology... then you either
have to write the entire thing yourself or get some corporate development team to buy off on it, and they are listening
to Marketing Requirement Docs from a new generation of users who are, for the most part, clueless.  So that puts
available innovative technology back about 5 years.  And fighting for that gets tiresome after a while.

It is survival of fittest.  And if Infosec from Corporate America wants to survive.. they need to become leaner and
meaner to adapt to the environment.

We need to understand the general cultural reasons behind this new phenomena of the el8 types.  I could care less about
their specific reasons, as they are unconcsiously part of an organic trend.

The quicker we realize this, the quicker we can let go of our egos and use *THEM* to perpetuate our existences and our
own individual "ethical" crusades.

-Chaos_Magician

   Over these last few days we have (obviously) faced numerous
maladies
such as mass junk mail, attacks against mailservers, ... but we
are still
here.  However, I see no need at all to bashing each other over
our
ing this crap
on the list both amplifies the effect of the idiots' posts, and
lets them
know that their effort is working -- that has got to stop.

   I will be the first one to say that I applaud how Len has h
andled all of
this -- the list must not be moderated.  Moderating the list wo
uld be giving
a victory to some of the lowest scum of all time.  Rather than
seek
alternatives, we have to be firm about the reason this list was
created in
the first place -- freedom of information.  This list was creat
ed to inform,
and inform quickly.  By advocating moderation, you are essentia
lly
advocating destroying the list.

   These last few days have been a test of how strongly we bel
ieved in the
idea that all information should be delivered in a timely fashi
on.  Someone
who truly believes in the concept of full disclosure will stand
up for it
even as the very concept itself is attacked.  Advocating modera
tion of the
list, or bringing your personal struggles to the list as it fac
es this
attack shows that your belief in the concept of full disclosure
is
incredibly weak.

   We must direct our anger towards these losers at these lose
rs.  Anything
else is an attack against our own values.  While they claim to
be hackers,
their method of attack shows them to be nothing more than spoil
ed children.
You can either fight them or give up, there's not an inch of mi
ddle ground.
Are you up for it?