Full Disclosure mailing list archives

more than idle threats I'm afraid

From: full-disclosure () lists netsys com (Anodyne Perspective)
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 01:57:42 -0700 (PDT)

--- security () australia edu wrote:
Anodyne Perspective replied to my original post with
--- security () australia edu wrote:
[snip]
    To make a long story short, I woke up
yesterday
to find this in my home
directory :

./MeMe156/agent.agency.08.14.02.2348/added
.agent.sol

after looking through ;
/var/adm/messages
/var/adm/syslog

to no avail, I used what I thought to be a clever
script that logs
auth.notice messages. NOTHING

/var/log/utmp; /var/log/utmpx
/var/log/wtmp; /var/log/wtmpx
/var/log/syslog

nothing. But then /var/log/sulog  showed me this;
SU 08/15 12:47 + pts/0 <userid>-root
 and /var/adm/messages revealed this
Aug 15 12:48:41 ***.***.***.*** unix:
rebooting...

almost convenient that it was there at all. If
anyone else has any
information remotely related please respond.

I administer a private lab running 2 Sun LX50's
involved in active Ionospheric
research and HF analysis.

[snip]

Sure, more than an idle threat to you, but only
because you waited too long to mitigate or prevent
the
usability or an exploit on your systems, or you
didn't
prevent remote/networked access prior to now.
What's
new about this?  What's especially scary?  Nothing.

# waited too long? Did you stop too see what really
happened here
# before you jumped in and shot off your mouth about
somthing that #you have
obviously have no clue about. If it were the old
lit_tty
#bug, I don't think it would need a reboot.
# And as for scary? Maybe you should take a look at
the nature of #advanced
Ionospheric research before you comment on it. Sure,
we #only pump about 1/3
of the juice through our dipole array as the #big
guys(HAARP). Anyways, all
our systems are down until we can do #a thourough
low level analysis. It IS
scary Anodyne. More than you #know. I asked for
help, not blind ignorant flaming.

http://www.haarp.alaska.edu/haarp/index1.html

Do you deliberately obfuscate your posts?

If these machines are so important, why are they
online at all?