IDS mailing list archives

Re: Intrusion Detection Evaluation Datasets

From: Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 14:45:39 -0400

Hi Damiano,

I didn't say it was easy, I said it was possible. :)

The reason we have rules in the first place it so that you don't have
to write raw C code to detect things and that's a Good Thing as far as
most people are concerned.  The point I was making is that Snort *can*
detect anything you want it to, we've built flexibility and
extensibility into it from day one.  It may be a little ugly, but the
capability is there.

That said, I prefer that people use the rule language where possible
because it's harder to get yourself in trouble with.  Getting
formalized rules primitives in place to do some of these things take a
while though and rule creation can be a near real-time necessity.
That's why things like .so rules exist so users (and Sourcefire) can
provide coverage beyond the capabilities of the detection engine and
the rules language.

Marty

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 5:06 AM, Damiano Bolzoni