IDS mailing list archives

Re: Intrusion Detection Evaluation Datasets

From: Seth Hall <hall.692 () osu edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 12:45:13 -0400

On Mar 19, 2009, at 11:15 AM, Ravi Chunduru wrote:

There should
be some solution like web application firewalls do - deep packet
inspection and protocol parsing.

That's exactly how Bro works and I've been occasionally examining various open source web application firewalls to see if I could use their techniques from an IDS context but I haven't had time yet to actually write anything beyond my script that uses a regex to catch GET based SQL injections[1]. A couple of extra nifty tricks about Bro in the context of HTTP analysis are that you can detect a number of protocols, including HTTP on any port (Dynamic Port Detection or DPD[2]). The other is that is that when Bro encounters gzipped body contents in a session, it will transparently unzip the body and pass along the uncompressed content so that your analysis scripts never even need to know about the compression.

1. http://github.com/sethhall/bro_scripts/blob/91a6a16e96ffbc563ec392d545fe688fee7bfee0/http-ext.bro
2. http://bro-ids.org/wiki/index.php/DynamicProtocolDetection

  .Seth

---