IDS mailing list archives

intrusion response - research survey

From: nstakhanova () gmail com
Date: 17 Mar 2009 02:56:47 -0000

Dear all,
We are working on a method to support automated intrusion response by
computing the lowest cost response to deploy.  The goal is to account
for varying system environments, response capabilities, and intrusion
severities, and to compute the response quickly enough to permit an
automated system to take near real time action.

As part of our evaluation of this method, we have a small simulation of
our selection model that we'd like to invite you to try.  We would like
to gauge the "intuitiveness" of our approach by asking experienced
people if the selected responses are what they expect, and determine if
there are other response-selection factors which we are not taking in to
account.

Instructions for using the Java-applet simulation are available at:
https://strasnet.dnsalias.net/ equationDataGenServlet/

The first time you access the page, you may be prompted about an invalid
SSL certificate.  It is using a self-signed certificate, so just accept
it to continue to the site.
To load the applet you'll need to have java  version 1.5 or higher.

There are a couple of example files to start from, but feel free to make
changes or setup other systems as desired.  To run through the sample
XML files as-is should take < 15-20 minutes.

If you would like your comments and results included in our research,
please go through within the next week or so. Results will be posted at
https://strasnet.dnsalias.net/ equationDataGenServlet/

Thanks, we look forward to getting your feedback!
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at nstakhanova () gmail com
Natalia Stakhanova