IDS mailing list archives

Re: 10Gbps IPS - what you need to know

From: Joel M Snyder <Joel.Snyder () Opus1 COM>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 10:17:08 -0700

Silence is enforcing the points made in earlier email that IPS devices
skip Intrusion analysis upon very small load on the system.  I was
hoping that somebody is going to speak out and prove otherwise.

Actually, this is a 'new' feature for many IPses. For example, Sourcefire didn't have it as recently as a year ago (although they do now in a particularly elegant manner).

The Juniper SRX 5800 IPS we just tested last week did NOT pass packets through un-inspected at high loads, and I don't believe that the SRX even has that capability. If the IPS is loaded, the whole system slows down.
http://www.networkworld.com/reviews/2009/022309-juniper-firewall-test.html

I am not totally sure, but I suspect that the IPS-1 (Check Point/NFR) that I tested last year is the same: when it's burdened, packets slow down, not pass through.

jms

--
Joel M Snyder, 1404 East Lind Road, Tucson, AZ, 85719
Senior Partner, Opus One       Phone: +1 520 324 0494