IDS mailing list archives

Re: Snort with an expert system

From: Tomas Olsson <tol () sics se>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 16:04:27 +0200

Stefano Zanero wrote:
Is it a false positive a case where there is no rule, or the traffic
does not match with the rule, and the engine still fires?

This does not fit with the above definition since the alert must be
triggered by the traffic.

You would be surprised in knowing that this is the only case where
you're pretty sure it IS a false positive that you are looking at (a
false positive of the engine itself, whereas the other examples are
noncontextual alerts caused by careless configuration by the user)

Yes, if there was no attack or intrusion triggering the alert. But, why
would the user not want to be alerted if it is a real intrusion?

Because maybe it is a rule firing for a real attack on a vulnerability
that is not present. By the way: is this a false positive or not? :-)

Do you see why I say that "false positive" is a dangerous beast to define?

With respect to using the alerts as input to our algorithm, no of these
objections are important. We just use the type of alerts as sensor data
that we want to analyze to see when the frequencies of each type of
alert diverge from what previously has been observed.

And what does that imply ? Do you filter out what diverges, or do you
filter out what does not diverge? How "diverging statistically" with the
specific algorithm which you chose actually have any relationship with
an alert being a false positive or not?

Well, there is nothing that says that there must be any difference
between a false and a true alert.

That's the point, exactly.

However, assume that there are
legitimate traffic that  triggers false alerts on a regular basis.

Here you are: you are detecting misconfigurations and noncontextuals,
not false positives ;-)

As I said, it's a matter of definition.

And "artificial ignorance" (as dubbed by Marcus Ranum) works using the
principle you stated, but with a much simpler apparatus. If this is all
you're looking for, then probably the algorithm you are using is an
overkill.

(and, in IDEVAL, there's probably no such traffic, unless you severely
misconfigure Snort)

Best,
Stefano
OK, I think I've got your point. The "misconfiguration" of snort was that we did not tune the signature rules. We used the default rules.

Maybe, I just have been thinking of this wrongly? If we instead see the IDS as a sensor that triggers alerts on interesting "events"/patterns in the traffic that we think is interesting. Thereafter, we can monitor the alerts and signal when ever something "unusual" happens using our algorithm. The we do not filter false positives, but we have created another type of IDS based on anomaly detection in combination with rules, if we assume that the signal correlates to intrusions.
/Tomas

Securing Your Online Data Transfer with SSL.
A guide to understanding SSL certificates, how they operate and their application. By making use of an SSL certificate
on your web server, you can securely collect sensitive information online, and increase business by giving your
customers confidence that their transactions are safe.
http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;5001;25;1371;0;1;946;9a80e04e1a17f194