IDS mailing list archives

RE: Setting up Arcsight/Tripwire

From: David Henning <David.Henning () hughes com>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 16:54:28 -0400

SPLUNK does not bill themselves as a SIEM(SIM, SEM, whatever the marketing name of the week) tool.  They can take in
logs and generate reports.  They don't care what you throw at them as long as it is text based (i.e. they can monitor
TOP, ps, or other scripted command outputs).  They have the ability to parse and search information stored in a flat
file format (i.e. Google for your log data).  They do not have the ability to create tickets, track an incident, and
other features that traditional SIEM tools offer.

I can't speak directly about Arcsight other than we did not choose them because the pre-sales support wasn't there for
us in 2004.  I did feel they would have shown to be the superior technology of the day, but that is 5 years ago.

I was about to rant about a competitor to Arcsight we used for a time but decided not to.  It was too long.  That
competitor is being replaced with SPLUNK because SPLUNK fits our environment and needs better.  The best answer to your
question is to do a bake-off internally with both products.  Really look at your particular use scenario.  Look at the
types of resources you have internally to manage the care and feeding of the product, keeping it updated as your
security devices generate new logs from their updates.  Some environments are better served by 'appliance' solutions,
some by the ability to tailor the product as you see fit.  What features do you really need?  Just log, alert, report
or also creating tickets on the fly, complex correlation, etc.  Will it be 100% in house or a managed service?

David Henning