IDS mailing list archives

RE: Setting up Arcsight/Tripwire

From: "Rivera, Angel L." <arivera () mitre org>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 12:48:58 -0400

I concur with getting help and training configuring Arcsight

I will say that out of the box Arcsight can receive data from al the devices you mention but you have quite a bit of
homework before you even touch Arcsight - for each device you need to determined what is it that you want to
"capture/filter"  - in other words what events in particular are you interested in (e.g., logons & log offs, access
failures, successful access to critical files).  Then you need to configure each device to generate the events onto
audit trails/logs - for windows for example you need to turn audit on and for each file that you want to track you need
to go and turn audit for that file.  Once you do all this then you can look at Arcsight to receive/forward/filter logs
and generate report/alerts.