IDS mailing list archives

Re: IDS vs Application Proxy Firewal

From: Stefano Zanero <s.zanero () securenetwork it>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 17:07:03 +0100

Ashish Kamra wrote:
My two cents on this issue as a Phd student working on an AD system for
a DBMS (who just wants get his Phd at the moment and not get into a
debate :-)).

If you want to get your PhD, then debating is quite important :D

I was at the Recent Advances in Intrusion Detection Conference (RAID
2008) recently where one of the topics for a panel discussion was "Life
after antivirus". The main take-away from the discussion was that even
top anti-virus companies are looking at whitelisting approaches to
augment the existing blacklists in order to win the battle against ever
increasing malware variants.

Whitelisting is a good approach to execution authorization and for
fighting malware, this is quite well recognized I'd say. Intrusion
detection is a completely different beast though (and it seems quite
peculiar that at RAID this wasn't noted).

SZ

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.coresecurity.com/index.php5?module=Form&action=impact&campaign=intro_sfw
to learn more.