IDS mailing list archives

Re: tesis thopic : IDS using mobile agents... What do you think about it?

From: Stefano Zanero <zanero () elet polimi it>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 22:03:40 +0100

Armin Garcia Lopez wrote:

I really too surprised by the words that you use to say that this isnt a
thesis topic at this stage...

No, it really isn't.

Plaese let me know what do you think about this papers....

They are all papers related to very different topics, results of a very
superficial search on a scientific literature search engine. Each one of
them could be a superset of a master's thesis. You need to narrow down
your topic A LOT before it becomes a suitable thesis topic.

I DO NOT WANT TO PROVE ANYTHING TO ANYONE!!!

Then, it is not a thesis topic :)

to work together with them, and I want to contribute woth some work,
research or anything to the scientific community, academic community and
professional community that works in computer security.

If you wish to contribute, you need to set your objectives to prove, or
disprove, something very specific.

"Agent-based IDS" is not a thesis topic.

"How can I develop an Agent-based system on industrial control systems
to address these specific shortcomings of agent-systems A, B and C
already developed" is a thesis topic.

Maybe in this time they dont have the technology, the power of
computing, the research that today exist about this kind of themes...

Maybe you should do some more literature search on the subject ;)

If you believe that this topic is obsolete ... Why are still running
papers related to this in IEEE and ACM at today?

I don't believe it's obsolete, I believe there's a lot of work already
done on the subject, so you REALLY need to be very narrow and specific
to have a subject for your thesis.

In my country is very difficult find people who want to help me as a
student in this topic

As a rule, I suggest students to tackle a topic which their faculty can
help with, over a fancy topic no one at their alma mater really
understands or cares about.

Best,
SZ

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.coresecurity.com/index.php5?module=Form&action=impact&campaign=intro_sfw
to learn more.