IDS mailing list archives

Re: Email reputation for inout to IDSs?

From: Tremaine Lea <focus-ids () ddiction com>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 11:53:12 -0700

On 26-Nov-08, at 8:37 AM, Joel Snyder wrote:

There are a few IPS/IDS solutions out there utilizing email reputation
> as part of their solutions, and they primarily get their strength from a > centralized managed db on the part of the vendor supplying the solution.

I haven't seen this actually happening; do you have specific products in mind? Other than 'intention,' it doesn't seem to have been rolled out yet.

I'm drawing a blank on the vendor, it came up when we were evaluating UTM solutions. It may have been Juniper or Checkpoint, I don't recall and am unable to devote the time to dig back at the moment I'm afraid. The other possibility is Tipping Point, but again I'm having a morning where my recollection is a bit hazy ;)

I'm definitely interested in seeing how the various vendors address this from an architecture design stance, and particularly how much flexibility they provide to the client in making choices with regards to the reputation information. Also be interesting to see if this gets extended beyond email reputation to straight IP reputation, perhaps utilizing information similar to that found on MyNetWatchMan or sites like ISC.

Cheers, and thanks for the well thought out response - it was a good read!

---

Tremaine Lea
Network Security Consultant
Intrepid ACL