IDS mailing list archives

RE: Best IPS system?

From: "Andrew Plato" <andrew.plato () anitian com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 10:09:39 -0700

That's a SUPER-loaded question. There is no easy answer. And I guarantee
you will get a wide array of answers and arguments. Questions like yours
evoke intense emotional responses from some people.

There is no one "best" solution. Each solution can be effective
depending on the expertise of your staff, complexity of your network,
etc. For example, many people will howl that all you need is an open
source solution. That may be a good fit, if you have the in-house
expertise in open-source platforms and the time to manage and maintain
it. If you don't, then a commercial appliance would be better.

Given your size, you might want to look toward a UTM (Unified Threat
Management) type appliance. They offer multiple capabilities in one
appliance. They typically will shine in one area and be mediocre in
others. Remember, no solution is best. All of them have weaknesses.

That said, this is what I would recommend (I am sure it will deeply and
profoundly offend some people, it always does):

For UTM:
Fortinet
WatchGuard
Juniper SSG

For stand alone IPS:
TippingPoint
Juniper
ISS

I do a lot of work with Fortinet and have found them to be a very good
and robust all around UTM solution. A little easier to work with than
Juniper and the Cisco ASA. The IPS in Fortinet is okay. The new MR6 code
makes it a lot easier to work with the IPS. It is a very feature-rich
platform with very good performance. The Juniper SSGs are okay. Good
overall, the IPS is a little lacking. WatchGuard is a deeply messed up
company, but they got some new owners and seem to be turning around.
Their product is very easy to use.

Another thing to keep in mind is the "best in class" problem. In an
ideal world, it is best to purchase the best solution in each class
(best firewall, best IPS, best mail filter, etc.) The problem with that
strategy is that it is very expensive to do that. This is why UTMs have
benefits. They allow you to collapse multiple applications on to a
single platform. There are, of course, drawbacks to that strategy.

Best suggestion - get demos of 2 or 3 solutions, pick the one you like
and be happy. But remember that no matter what you pick, it will have
weaknesses and there will always be somebody who tells you it was a bad
choice.

Good luck.

Andrew Plato, CISSP, CISM
President/Principal Consultant