IDS mailing list archives

RE: Obfuscated web pages

From: "Mike Barkett" <mbarkett () us checkpoint com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 16:18:07 -0500

You're really talking about the difference between client-based protections
and server-based protections.  Let's not throw the baby out with the
bathwater; network IDS/IPS does much more than just "AV style malware
signatures for malicious web server issues."  Most of today's IPS products
can quite deftly clean out a vast array of types of malicious activity,
whether automated or not, across a bevy of network protocols, not just web.

Regarding inline JS inspection, I've said it before and I still believe that
one day there will be a full DOM proxy product that is capable of running
inline.  Yes, its speeds will lag other network devices, and yes, browser
attacks will probably be yesterday's news by then anyway, but it would be
foolish to suggest that it is theoretically impossible to do.  In the
meantime, if you have embraced defense-in-depth and gotten yourself a
trustworthy network IPS, a thorough endpoint solution, and you use only
locked down browsers, then you'll be ok.

-MAB

--
Michael A Barkett, CISSP
IPS Security Engineering Director