IDS mailing list archives

Re: Obfuscated web pages

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn () jmu edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 16:17:59 -0500

Tim wrote:
Without this capability, it would seem that network based
IDS/IPS is destined to digress to AV style malware
signatures for malicious web server issues and that the only
reliable place to do IDS/P would be on the host.

Signature-based IDS systems are exactly like AV systems, just network
focussed.  They are always going to be at least one step behind
attackers.

The specific issue of JavaScript obfuscation drives this point home
quite well.   IMO, it is unlikely that any IDS engine could implement
the beast that is ECMAScript and all of it's children and still be safe
while reliably detecting attacks.  It approaches issues similar to the
halting problem.

I agree that it would be hard though some of the issues could
be addressed with a watchdog timer limiting iterations or
processing time. Of course those same measures would provide a
way to bypass the device. Then again, code behavior that trips
those limits may be unique to malicious code so it could be
used as a reason to drop the associated traffic anyway.

I suspect that no vendors support this feature ( actual code
execution in some sort of sandbox ) and I was just trying to
verify it.

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer